Life after acquittal: Mubarak returns to private mansion after leaving military hospital
With curtains down on “the trial of the century,” the family of Egypt’s ousted president Hosni Mubarak is preparing to welcome him home, a report on a local newspaper said Thursday.
Last week, Egypt’s top appeals court found the 88-year-old president innocent of involvement in the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended his autocratic 30-year rule, a case which has been dubbed “the trial of the century.”
Since 2012, Mubarak has been confined to Maadi Military Hospital for treatment.
Now that he is free to go, Mubarak’s family is said to be preparing his private residence in Cairo’s upscale district of Heliopolis, located near the Ettihadia presidential palace, unnamed sources close to the family told Youm7 newspaper.
The sources said the ground floor of his private mansion is being prepared for his accommodation, amid tight security measures.
The newspaper report claimed that Mubarak’s wife, Suzzane Thabet, remained at the residence throughout his trial period.
It also suggested that among the first places Mubarak is expected to visit would be the grave of his grandson, who passed away in 2009.
A list of public figures and officials, from Egypt and the Arab world, are also expected to visit the former president at his residence, the report added.
Since his ouster in 2011, Mubarak stood trial in a number of criminal cases on various charges, but received a final conviction only in one on corruption charges.
He was sentenced along with his two sons for three years in prison on corruption charges in the case known as “the presidential palaces lawsuit,” in which they were accused of using public funds to upgrade their private property.