Bahraini authorities on Friday revealed recordings of phone conversations that showed how Qatar conspired against the Gulf country.
The phone conversations were between Hamad bin Khalifa al-Attiyah, the special adviser to the former emir Qatar, and Bahraini opposition cleric Hassan Ali Mohammed Jumaa Sultan, where both conspired to provoke chaos in Bahrain.
So who exactly is Sheikh Hassan Ali Mohammed Jumaa Sultan?
- He is a cleric considered among the key leaders of al-Wefaq Party since he began his religious studies in Iran in 1984.
- He began inciting against Bahrain’s ruler in the 1990s and participated in the events on Pearl Roundabout in 2011.
- He fled to Lebanon in 2011 for fear of being arrested.
- Sought to distort the image of Bahraini through Iranian news channels like al-Alam and al-Manar.
- Promoted sectarianism and tried to destabilize Bahrain’s security through the media.
- Received funding from Hezbollah to spend on the wanted and fugitive Bahrainis.
- Planned to complicate the situation in Bahrain in coordination with the Lebanese terrorist group Hezbollah.
- He was stripped of his Bahraini nationality in 2015, when authorities in Bahrain issued a list of 72 individuals to revoke their nationality because of their harmful actions against Bahrain’s interests.