How a British man tricked a Moroccan woman into joining ISIS

Published: Updated:

It never occurred to Moroccon Islam Mitat that an online relationship with a British man would quickly escalate to marriage, followed by a long period of globe-trekking and ultimately end up in the stronghold of ISIS in Raqqa, Syria. This was eventually followed by Mitat marrying three different fighters in the extremist organization.

Mitat’s story will be aired in this week’s Death Making episode. The show will host the Moroccan girl, who was freed among 200 other women, some of whom are Yazidi, by democratic Syrian forces.

Mitat’s story began four years ago at the age of 19. During the time, she met a British man on social media. Their relationship blossomed quickly, subsequently he told her he was coming to Morocco to marry her.

Hand in marriage

Sticking to his words, the man arrived in Morocco and asked for Mitat’s hand in marriage. The man, who was of Afghani descent, informed Mitat that he would take care of the necessary procedures required to get her a British passport issued following which they would be able to reside in London.

However, he claimed that the procedure was going to take a while, thus it would be better for them to travel frequently to several places in the meantime. According to him, this would have allegedly expedited the process. Accordingly, he flew Mitat several times to Afghanistan to meet his family and frequently to Dubai as well.

He eventually took her to Turkey where he claimed a massive surprise awaited her. Upon their arrival at Istanbul airport, they were greeted by her brother-in-law. Riding in his car, they drove for two days, where Mitat ultimately arrived to a house which hosted several women.

Turn of events

Mitat learned from the women that they were in the Turkish city of Gaziantep, not far from the Syrian border. The women were to set course to Ard Al-Khilafah, an ISIS-controlled area.

Islam Mitat says: “At that point I didn’t know what to do. I was in tears and I called for my husband, he told me he was going to Raqqa. He told me I must obey him because that is his lawful right. I was petrified because I was alone, far away from my parents and I didn’t know what to do.”

After crossing the Syrian broder, Mitat was now in Raqqa. It was revealed to her that her husband belonged to “private forces” in ISIS in Abu Omar al-Shishani’s battalion, which mostly comprises Russians, Chechens and Afghans.

A few months later, Mitat’s husband left for battles in Kobanî where he was killed in action. Mitat was left a widow with a baby at hand. Soon after, she was married to another ISIS fighter, but divorced him at a later time to marry another member in the organization. She resided in Raqqa thereafter.

Islam Mitat narrates several details of her daily life in Raqqa and what was demanded of the women there. She explains that women were ordered to buy explosive belts and were required to remain at reach at all times. They would be required to be on alert in case of any emergency.