The British Army said on Tuesday it has launched an urgent investigation after an intruder posing as a priest reportedly spent the night at the barracks of troops who guard Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle.
The Sun newspaper and broadcaster Talk TV reported that the man was admitted to Victoria Barracks last week after claiming to be a friend of the battalion’s padre. It said he spent the evening eating and drinking with senior officers before being offered a bed for the night, despite showing no identification or credentials.
Police were summoned the following morning and the man was removed. He was not arrested.
The barracks is close to the castle, 30 miles (50 kilometers) west of London, where the queen spends much of her time. The 96-year-old monarch was staying at her Sandringham estate in eastern England when the alleged intrusion took place.
The barracks is home to the Coldstream Guards, who stand guard outside the palace in their distinctive red jackets and bearskin hats. Thousands of tourists are expected in Windsor next month as the UK celebrates the Platinum Jubilee, marking the queen’s 70 years on the throne.
The army said in a statement that it “takes this breach of security extremely seriously and it will be thoroughly investigated as a matter of priority. This incident is now part of an ongoing investigation and it would therefore be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”
Royal baby Archie to have private Windsor Castle christeningThe youngest member of Britain’s royal family, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, is being christened Saturday in a private family ceremony at Windsor ... Variety
Prince Philip’s funeral to take place at Windsor Castle on April 17, closed to publicBuckingham Palace officials say Prince Philip’s funeral will take place April 17 at Windsor Castle in a family service that will be closed to the ... World News
UK police arrest man with crossbow on grounds of Queen’s homeBritish police have arrested a man suspected of breaking into the grounds of Windsor Castle, where Queen Elizabeth II was spending Christmas, with ... World News
Downing Street apologizes to Queen over COVID-19 lockdown partiesUK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office has apologized to Queen Elizabeth II after it was revealed that Downing Street staff held lockdown-breaching ... World News