Happy New Year? Confusion as concerts cancelled in Dubai, Abu Dhabi
Event organizers sent emails out last night saying the performances would not go ahead without explanation
Five major concerts in Abu Dhabi and Dubai meant to go ahead on New Year’s Eve were cancelled by organizer Red Line Media and Marketing, UAE-based The National reported Friday.
The event planning organization emailed the hotels hosting the performances last night at 2 a.m. saying they events would not go ahead.
The unelaborated announcement was sent to the InterContinental Hotel Abu Dhabi, the Crowne Plaza Yas Island, the Beach Rotana in Abu Dhabim the Al Ain Rotana and the InterContinental Hotel Dubai Festival City.
“This is a big loss for us, a main event on such a big night as New Year’s Eve,” said Rima Baroodi, director of public relations and communications at the InterContinental Hotel in Abu Dhabi.
“It not just a loss of revenue but it was also a social event. We had rented out our hall for the event to Red Line and were handling the food and beverages for the night, all the other organization was up to Red Line,” Baroodi said.
Tickets for the concerts ranged from 800AED ($218) to 2,500AED.
The intended performances by Arab musicians included Ramy Ayach, Shatha Hassoun, Wafik Habib, George Tahhan, Melhem Barakat, Hisham el-Hajj, Melhem Zain and Nassif Zaitoun.
A spokesperson for the Beach Rotana hotel also confirmed the cancellations.
“Both the Beach Rotana and Al Ain Rotana are making all efforts to contact Red Line executives for clarifications but so far have received no response,” said the spokesperson, adding they were disappointed because they had been expecting more than 400 people to attend.
The hotel is now reportedly planning to take legal action.
“We have spoken to the local authorities and our legal adviser and hope that this will save the situation for guests and for our hotels as well,” the Beach Rotana said.