Syrian singer Assala ‘stopped at airport for carrying cocaine in makeup bag’
The news of the arrest of Syrian singer Assala Nasri at Beirut airport for allegedly carrying drugs went viral on social media on Sunday night.
Lebanese newspaper an-Nahar quoted a security source confirming the arrest of Assala at the Rafic Hariri International Airport as she headed to Cairo, because she had cocaine in her possession. They had been found in her makeup bag, according to the report.
According to the website of Lebanon’s LBC TV channel, Assala denied in an initial statement that these drugs belong to her and said “she didn’t know who had put them in her bag.”
She left Beirut to Cairo after signing a pledge to undergo a drug analysis every time she visits Lebanon.
After leaving Beirut Airport, Assala posted a photo from the plane on her Instagram account with the caption “Thanks God.”
- ‘Drug dealer’ sparks diplomatic buzz between Morocco and the Netherlands
- Family of Hezbollah official accuses group of corruption, drug trafficking
- ANALYSIS: Tracing Iranian Quds Force links to illegal drugs trade
- Shocking images: Traffickers use pigeon to smuggle drugs into Kuwait
- King Salman orders a supply of drug trucks to battle cholera epidemic in Yemen