Pop legend Elton John on Wednesday announced a final tour, saying he intends to stop traveling.
The 70-year-old British entertainer, revealing his plans at a gala New York event, said he planned to “go out with a bang” with a global tour that will open in September and last through 2021.
“It will be the last time that I’m touring and traveling the world, because my priorities have changed,” John told several hundred journalists and guests after a mini-concert and virtual reality presentation about his career.
Saying he has had an “amazing life and amazing career,” the “Rocket Man” said he had no health concerns and would stay active, hoping to record more albums and write further musicals.
“I will be creative, hopefully, until the day I die,” he said.
John, who closes his latest extravagant Las Vegas residency in May, said he was also open to concerts after the tour but that they would likely only be in his native Britain.
Elton John, Bon Jovi to headline 24-hour climate concertPerformance aimed at urging environmental action ahead of key climate change talks in Paris Variety
Elton John to turn ‘Devil Wears Prada’ into musicalJohn will write the music for “The Devil Wears Prada,” with lyrics to be penned by Paul Rudnick, a humorist Entertainment
Zayn Malik, Elton John, Selena Gomez set to perform in DubaiThe world’s biggest stars are making their way to Dubai this winter Variety
Putin calls Elton John - and this time it’s real says KremlinRussia's president called Elton John and suggested a meeting after the British singer was tricked last week by a prankster impersonating the Russian leader Variety