Plans by Disney to slow down the release of future “Star Wars” projects are getting a thumbs up from fans, who also hope that new movies in the multi-billion dollar sci-fi franchise will be more creative.
In an unexpected admission that the slew of “Star Wars” films and spinoff projects may be causing fan fatigue, Walt Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said it had been a mistake to release a new movie every year.
“I think the mistake that I made - I take the blame - was a little too much, too fast,” Iger told The Hollywood Reporter in an interview published on Thursday. “You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn’t mean that we’re not going to make films.”
“I think we’re going to be a little more careful about volume and timing,” Iger added.
Scott Collura, executive editor of entertainment website IGN, called the slowdown “a win for fans,” recalling the anticipation in the past when there were long gaps between movies.
“It won’t kill us to not have a new ‘Star Wars’ film in 2020,” Collura wrote in an opinion piece.
Since 2015, Disney has released two of three planned movies based around characters originated by director George Lucas in 1977, and two standalone films.
Iger’s comment followed a disappointing reception for May release “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” an origin story about smuggler Han Solo. The film took $400 million at the global box office, well below the $2 billion haul for 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and $1.3 billion for 2017’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”

‘Star Wars’ fans applaud movie release slowdown
File photo of Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamill arriving for the European Premiere of 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi', at the Royal Albert Hall in central London. (Reuters)
Reuters, New York
Friday 21 September 2018
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:57 - GMT 06:57
DAY | WEEK |
-
7747 Views Full moon to align directly above Kaaba in Mecca on Jan. 28
-
7036 Views Coronavirus: Dubai restaurants offer discounts for vaccinated diners
-
4323 Views Coronavirus: Dubai’s new restrictions disappoint hospitals; entertainers struggle on
-
1625 Views More than 250,000 foreign workers exit Saudi labor market within 3 months
-
1326 Views Britain, France and Germany ‘strongly condemn’ air attack on Saudi Arabia
-
1252 Views Coronavirus: Saudi Arabia to get AstraZeneca shots in about a week from India
-
23369 Views Coronavirus: Dubai temporarily postpones Pfizer vaccine campaign amid global shortage
-
10979 Views Coronavirus: Dubai orders hospitals to cancel surgeries amid surge in COVID-19 cases
-
9274 Views The American University of Beirut’s battle for survival
-
8293 Views Coronavirus: Dubai suspends live entertainment permits as COVID-19 cases surge
-
8060 Views Coronavirus: Dubai's latest COVID-19 rules for weddings, restaurants, gyms, concerts
-
7848 Views Full moon to align directly above Kaaba in Mecca on Jan. 28
SHOW MORE