Photos: Hollywood stars dazzle at 2014 Met Ball
Onlookers were treated to a sea of ballgowns – tiered, feathered and twinkling - and some more daring outfits
Following last year’s sojourn into the world of punk, this year’s Met Ball in New York saw its celebrity guests return to a more glamorous dress code.
Onlookers were treated to a sea of ballgowns – tiered, feathered and twinkling. Meanwhile, some starlets chose to take an edgier route, with bared midriffs - courtesy of pop diva Rihanna - and geometric pant suits.
For their part, Blake Lively, Marion Cotillard, Beyonce, Gisele, Leighton Meester and Jessica Alba all dared to bare with plunging necklines while old school elegance was embraced by the likes of Sarah Jessica Parker, Claire Danes and Suki Waterhouse.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit – recently opened after a two year renovation - celebrated the opening of “Charles James: Beyond Fashion,” the inaugural exhibition that will open on May 8.
On Tuesday, U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama cut the ribbon on New York’s $40 million renovated costume center named in fashion powerhouse Anna Wintour’s honor.
- Easy elegance: Celebrate Audrey Hepburn’s birthday with these style tips
- Sneak-a-peak at a new fashion trend: making sneakers sexy
- Levine designs womenswear with help from fiancée
- How to work the masculine trend storming fashion runways
- Fashion rehab: detoxing your closet for a stylish summer
- Swirls and whirls of Arabic calligraphy burst onto global catwalks