Bling bling! How to wear sequins this season
With the festive season upon us, store windows are filled with sequined items for all those celebratory evenings
When King Tutankhamen’s tomb was discovered in 1922, gold sequin-like discs were found sewn onto the Egyptian monarch’s garments. It is assumed that they ensured he would be financially and sartorially prepared for the afterlife.
The origins of the word “sequin” refer to wealth. The Arabic word sikka means “coin,” and in the 13th century gold coins produced in Venice were known as zecchino. For centuries, variations of sikka and zecchino were used in Europe and the Middle East.
With the festive season upon us, store windows are filled with sequined items for all those celebratory evenings.
But why keep sequins in the dark? You can also enjoy their sparkle in the daytime by upgrading your outfit with a touch of glamor.
For those who are timid, opt for a sequined scarf, clutch, pair of flats, or a tee with sequined details.
For the more daring, the list is longer but the same rules apply:
- Have one sequined item per look, and team it with your everyday look to tone it down. It should be the only focal point in your outfit. Keep your makeup minimal, hair simple, and cut down on accessories. Avoid big or black sequins. Opt for colorful ones, and keep it monochrome.
- With a sequined skirt, wear a denim shirt or a sweater. Depending on the skirt length and legs thickness, you can wear stilettos or sneakers.
- With a sequined tee, boyfriend jeans are a must. If the top is long enough, leather leggings and booties will give it the rock-star edge.
- With sequined trousers, a simple tee, white or grey, with a parka or jacket along with stilettos or sneakers and a backpack are the perfect combo.
- With a sequined dress, a denim jacket is the best way to de-bling it. Brogues will add to this super feminine piece an interesting masculine touch, or booties and a cross-body bag for a modern touch.
- With a sequined jacket, a cute light dress or jeans with a crisp white shirt. An alternative would be an A-line skirt or a fun full skirt. For a bolder look, why not team the jacket with track pants?
No excuses anymore to keep those sequined items in your closet and take them out only for big occasions. Use and abuse them, and let your days be glamorous and fun.
- Fashion show etiquette: DOs and absolute DON’Ts
- Vogue fashion show in Dubai highlights emerging talents
- Five emerging Arab fashion designers to keep an eye on
- International designers compete for top wool wear fashion prize
- What’s hot this summer? Style tips to turn heads in the heat
- From nudity to origami, Paris fashion week has it all
- Investors struggle to retain female Saudi staff in lingerie shops