How to steal the boho styles of celebs at this year’s Coachella
All of Hollywood’s young darlings gathered in one dusty desert destination, decked out in their boho best
Every April, curious eyes turn toward the California desert, as the annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival transforms a polo club in the small city of Indio into a full-blown celeb-packed scene.
With all of Hollywood’s young darlings gathered in one dusty desert destination, decked out in their boho best, it’s a mean style game.
Celebrity pictures from Coachella have flooded magazines and multitudes of online platforms. No matter if you’re a Coachella fanatic, a Lollapalooza lover or a Glastonbury girl, going to these festivals gives you a chance to show your style.
Kendall Jenner is on another level at Coachella pic.twitter.com/IHkIlNpctz— Finest Clothes (@FinestClothes) April 20, 2016
Assuming you have a strong fashion sense, it can still be a challenge. The goal is to create an outfit that works in challenging weather - it’s summer and it’s hot, dusty and humid - which is also incredibly comfortable and still look cool.
But if you’re in doubt and don’t have much creative inspiration, why not just look for musical festival style queens and get some inspiration. Over the last few years, Kate Moss, Sienna Miller and Nicole Richie have created almost legendary looks adopted by fashionistas the world over – and it’s not hard to copy their style.
Another important thing to think about is that when building your look, it has to be incredibly versatile. Remember, you’ll probably be out from morning till midnight, so your outfit should be able to sync with various sites and changes in temperature.
Most musical festivals are held in fields, where grass, dust or mud are involved, so the outfit fabric color and texture count. You wouldn’t want to sit on the ground and get a big spot of mud or dirt all over your white shorts.
Your footwear will also need to be up to the task. I usually always wear closed flat shoes like ankle boots, motorcycle boots or sneakers, out of fear of getting my toes crushed by excited festival-goers. But if you’re ready to take a chance and want to rock your gladiator sandals, it’s your call.
And one more thing, make sure your flats are perfectly broken in (you wouldn’t want blisters to ruin your mood). But if you absolutely refuse to go flat, then opt for a wedge sandal.
Wellies can be a great statement - and why not emulate Kate Moss who started the trend?
We recommend these trendy items to capture the laid-back festival style:
• Bohemian print maxi breezy dress or skirt
• Off-the-shoulders top with puffy sleeves
• Denim cutoffs with a white shirt, it may not be classic festival fare, but a good chic alternative to the more predictable printed tee.
• Denim or suede vests or jackets
• Cropped tops (It’s now or never!)
• Any item with fringes
• Army shirt or parka
• Colorful flowy printed jumpsuit
• Just because you're in the desert doesn't mean you have to stick to dowdy hues. Metallic fabrics are an easy way to shine in the crowd. The lace-up front dress or top trend is a stylish way to revive the 70s mood.
• Stay away from silk or heavy fabrics
And, in case I haven’t said it enough times, Accessories can make or break a look! Always carry with you:
• A sun hat, I recommend a large brimmed one
• Large sunglasses
• An oversized scarf
• A crossbody or backpack
• Chokers are the new flower crowns!
• Bandanas and braids make a killer combo
• Colorful multi strings ethnic bracelets
• Turquoise jewelry
• Anything with studs, grommets, chains
• Septum rings for the daring ones
Fashion has laid claim to Coachella to such an extent that high street giant H&M has a ready-to-wear collection inspired by the festival.
The line gives shoppers the chance to purchase the same kind of crop tops, fringed robes, beaded shorts and floral shirts.
We still have all summer long with many more music festivals, so there’s plenty more occasions to enjoy music in style.
European music festivals: What to look forward to
Primavera Sound, in Barcelona, June 1 to 5
Secret Solstice, in Laugardalur, near Reykjavik, June 16–19
Glastonbury, in Pilton, Somerset,
Montreux Jazz Festival, in Montreux, July 1–16
Nos Alive (formerly Optimus Alive!), in Lisbon
Secret Garden Party, in Abbots Ripton, in Cambridgeshire
Sziget, in Budapest
Lollapalooza, in Berlin
- ‘Muslim Lifestyle Show’ hits London featuring fashion, finance and food
- Old really is gold: Meet the new generation of ‘It Girl’ fashionistas
- Famous designers kick off Arab Fashion Week in Dubai
- How Brooklyn, Kylie & Barbie are changing the fashion world
- Remember chokers? The 1990s fashion trend is back with a bang