German tourism giant TUI said Wednesday it is resuming trips to destinations on the Red Sea in Egypt, which had been cancelled for more than a month due to violence in the country.
“The foreign ministry has modified its security advice and no longer advises against travelling to the Red Sea,” TUI said in a statement.
As a result, TUI said it had decided to resume with immediate effect its trips under the brand names TUI, 1-2-Fly, airtours and Discount Travel.
It was also examining whether to resume offering trips to Cairo, Luxor and cruises on the Nile, the statement said.
Around 25 million tourists travelled to Egypt in the first eight months of 2013, 0.5 percent less than during the same period last year, a report released on Friday by the Egyptian tourism ministry has found.
Amid the protests and travel warnings from foreign embassies, the report said that the most significant losses were from Middle Eastern tourists whose numbers fell to 1.15 million visitors, around 7.8 percent less than the same period in 2012 reported English daily Ahram Online.
The report shows that the number of North and South American tourists visiting Egypt has fallen 6.7 percent, African tourism to Egypt has decreased by 3 percent from last year's figures.
The numbers of tourists from Asia and the Pacific have dropped by 0.4 percent.
However, European tourism in the country has increased by 1.5 percent in 2013, reaching 5.38 million visitors, up from 5.30 million visitors during the same period in 2012, according to the report.
Russian tourists who represent the biggest number of European visitors have increased to 1.74 million visitors in 2013 compared to 1.41 million visitors the previous year.
Egypt tourism numbers drop in first eight months of 2013Around 25 million tourists have travelled to Egypt in the first eight months of ... Economy
Egypt unveils initiatives to revive tourism sectorEgypt’s Ministry of Tourism is taking steps to promote the tourism sector ... Economy
Egypt’s tourism hit hard by crisisPerspective