A right-wing media pundit from the United States has called for all Muslims to be killed in a ‘sarcastic’ tweet made in response to the Boston Marathon bombings.
“Let's bring more Saudis in without screening them! C'mon!,” he wrote on Twitter.
Another Twitter user asked, “Are you ALREADY BLAMING MUSLIMS??” – to which Rush reportedly responded: "Yes, they're evil. Let's kill them all."
Rush later said his tweet was “sarcastic”, and appeared to have deleted the post this morning.
The tweet drew a flood of responses from Twitter users, many of them expressing shock and anger at the tweet. Rush responded to many of his critics with a series of profane responses.
The Boston explosions drew a more measured response from international media.
The incident dominated the front pages of UK newspapers. The Daily Telegraph had the headline "Bomb carnage at marathon", while the Sun had "Marathon slaughter".
The bombings in Boston killed at least three people and injured scores. Authorities in the U.S. described the incident as an act of terror, although have not yet speculated on who was behind the blasts. President Obama vowed on Monday that those behind the bombing "will feel the full weight of justice."
At least 128 people were hospitalized following the incident, and as many as eight were in critical condition, officials said.
British police are reviewing security plans for Sunday’s London Marathon, the next major international marathon, because of the bombs that killed two people at the race in Boston.
- Saudi nationals among injured in Boston Marathon twin blasts
- Saudi king says Boston attack perpetrators ‘belong to no religion’
- President Obama vows ‘full weight of justice’ in Boston bombing
- Boston terror, part of a war that has not ended
- Police: Three killed, 140 injured in twin blasts at Boston marathon
- Boston blasts, China date rock US stocks
- Boston blasts prompt UK review of London Marathon