.
.
.
.

Saudi Arabia denies alleged Fox News statements

Published: Updated:

Saudi Arabia denied on Thursday reports that Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal made any statement about Egypt to Fox News after online news outlets reported that al-Faisal told the U.S. news channel that Saudi Arabia would not be supporting Egypt financially forever.

“Referring to statements attributed to Prince Saud al-Faisal, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and quoted allegedly by Fox News, an official source at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that those statements are incorrect completely,” according to a statement by the Saudi Press Agency.

“The source added that the Minister of Foreign Affairs did not make recently an interview or speak to Fox News or other mass media,” the agency added.

Middle East Monitor earlier reported that Prince al-Faisal told Fox News in an interview that despite helping Egypt before and after the country’s revolution, Saudi support is not going to last.

Saudi Arabia has long provided aid for Egypt and previously confirmed that it will step in to help Egypt if Western countries were to cut their financial aid to Cairo.

Middle East Monitor has published the foreign minister’s alleged statements to Fox News. But the statement could not be found on Fox News website.

“Every beginning has an end. Saudi Arabia offered grants and loans to Egypt, but will not continue to support it forever. Therefore, the Egyptian government must quickly find a solution to negotiate with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in order to obtain a loan. We cannot support Egypt forever,” according to one statement.