Egypt orders deportation of jailed Australian reporter
A senior interior ministry official said Egypt has decided to deport jailed Australian reporter Peter Greste to his home country
Egypt has decided to deport jailed Australian reporter Peter Greste to his home country, a senior interior ministry official told AFP on Sunday.
“There is a presidential decision to deport Peter Greste to Australia,” the official told AFP.
Greste had been sentenced to seven years in prison along with a fellow Al-Jazeera reporter, Canadian-Egyptian Mohamed Fahmy, for allegedly aiding the blacklisted Muslim Brotherhood group.
Their Egyptian Al-Jazeera colleague Baher Mohamed was also sentenced to 10 years.
- Egyptian court orders retrial of Al Jazeera journalists
- Al Jazeera ridicules beheading of U.S. journalists as ‘Hollywood’ show
- Egypt blocks three Iraqi TV stations from broadcasting
- Egypt detains man who sent pictures to Al Jazeera, say sources
- Less than half of wanted Egypt reporters are staff, Al-Jazeera says