Donald Trump labeled ‘moron’ over Paris shootings comments
In a series of tweets, the real estate tycoon blamed France’s gun control for the Charlie Hebdo attack
As world leaders, famous personalities, and individuals took to social media to condemn Wednesday's deadly attacks on satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo, U.S. tycoon Donald Trump generated criticism for his take on the tragedy.
In a series of tweets, the real estate tycoon blamed France’s gun control for the shootings that left 10 journalists and two police officers dead.
My condolences and prayers to the victims of the terrorist attack in Paris.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 7, 2015
If the people so violently shot down in Paris had guns, at least they would have had a fighting chance.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 7, 2015
Isn’t it interesting that the tragedy in Paris took place in one of the toughest gun control countries in the world?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 7, 2015
Remember, when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 7, 2015
Trump’s comments quickly generated criticism, with the term “moron” featuring in many posts.
Donald Trump should run for president. He has the feckless moron vote, and that's a significant demographic. #DonaldTrump— Ed O'Meara (@edfomeara) January 8, 2015
The pen is mightier than the sword and the wig wearer is stupider than most #DonaldTrump— Dave Parkin (@BaggersDave) January 8, 2015
They shot two police officers! French police ARE armed. Did that save their lives? No. #DonaldTrump— Christian Guthier (@cguthier) January 8, 2015
- Female officer killed in shootout south of Paris
- French far-right leader calls for death penalty in Paris shooting aftermath
- Paris attacks: What do we know about the Kouachi brothers?
- Muslim officer one of two policemen killed in Paris shooting
- On those who seek to justify the Paris attack
- Paris shooting triggers attacks on Muslim targets
- Paris attack: ISIS and al-Qaeda are not contained
- Muslim unions, leaders condemn ‘barbaric’ Paris attack
- ‘Je Suis Charlie’ message goes viral after Paris attack
- Paris gunmen ‘trained by pros’: terror experts
- Is Paris shooting linked to France’s Mideast anti-terror drive?