Anonymous claims target in ‘Op Charlie Hebdo’
A Twitter posted a photo allegedly showing that Anonymous had taken down a French website affiliated with Islamist extremists
After announcing an online war with Islamist extremists in the wake of the Paris attacks, Anonymous, an online collective of hacktivisits, claimed on Saturday that they successfully disrupted their first target.
While the group has no clear leadership or base, a Twitter account by the handle of @OpCharlieHebdo posted a photo allegedly showing that Anonymous had taken down a French website affiliated with Islamist extremists.
“#TangoDown : http://ansar-alhaqq.net ,” the tweet read.
“Expect us. #JeSuisCharlie #OpCharlieHebdo #CharlieHebdo”
Ansar-alhaqq.net was down for more than an hour following Anonymous’ announcement, news website Mashable reported. However, the website is now up and running.
The same group posted a message earlier this week warning: “expect a massive frontal reaction from us because the struggle for the defense of those freedoms is the foundation of our movement.”
In a video posted on Anonymous France’s YouTube page, a video said “anonymous had always fought for freedom of speech and freedom of the press”
“We will never stop,” the group said.
- Anonymous declares ‘cyber war’ against Islamist militants
- Madonna under fire over Charlie Hebdo posts
- BBC to revise ban on depiction of Prophet Mohammad
- Al-Qaeda in Yemen ‘claims’ Charlie Hebdo attack
- Charlie Hebdo attack: A turning point for Islamophobia in France?
- Charlie Hebdo suspects killed
- Four hostages, captor killed at Paris kosher store