How did the media misreport the Qatif extremists story by using outdated photos?

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
1 min read

As soon as news was released that a young 19-year-old boy was shot in Saudi Arabia, media outlets were quick to release photos of young extremists who they labeled as “teenagers”.

The story began after a wanted person was fatally wounded during an operation by Saudi security forces in eastern Saudi Arabia last Sunday.

The interior ministry said security forces came under fire while pursuing wanted men who had been hiding in houses vacated by inhabitants to pave the way for a development project intended to revamp the area.

“Security men came under heavy gunfire at the Musawara neighborhood from an unknown source, which required an appropriate response,” the statement, carried by state news agency SPA said.

Photos were immediately released to the public showing photos of the young wanted men. However, it appeared that many of the photos were taken at least six months ago, showing the boys at a much younger age than they actually are.

Most of the photos of taken when they were 15-years-old, the minimum age required when registering for certain identification cards. Other photos used by the media were released from old photos used from their school’s registration IDs as well.

Top Content Trending