Photographs widely circulated online and claiming to show protest victims gunned down by Sudanese security forces last week actually came from a neighbouring country, the interior minister said Monday.
“Most of the pictures on social media websites are from Egypt,” Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamed told a news conference.
Authorities say 33 people have died since petrol and diesel prices jumped more than 60 percent on September 23, sparking protests by thousands, the worst urban unrest in the history of President Omar al-Bashir's 24-year reign.
Activists and international human rights groups say at least 50 people were gunned down, most of them in the greater Khartoum area.
The real toll was difficult to determine but “could be as much as 200,” a foreign diplomat told AFP on condition of anonymity.
Videos and photographs purporting to show bloodied victims have circulated on YouTube, Facebook and other social media networks.
In Egypt, hundreds of people have been killed since the army overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Mursi on July 3.
Tear gas fired at women’s university protest in SudanSudanese police fired tear gas Monday into a university campus where female students were protesting, the university head said on the eighth day of ... News
Sudan’s past revolutions cast light on country’s crisisThe current protests in Sudan are reminiscent of the past half century, during which military-led takeovers and popular uprisings have dotted the ... Middle East
Sudan says no going back on fuel rise despite unrestSudan vowed Sunday to stand firm on its decision to hike fuel prices, despite days of deadly protests and criticism from within the ruling party and ... Economy