Houthi rebels storm offices of Yemeni newspaper
Akhbar al-Youm’s director says Houthi gunmen were holding newspaper employees
Yemen’s Houthi rebels on Thursday stormed the offices of the independent newspaper Akhbar al-Youm in Sanaa, the Al Arabiya correspondent in the capital reported.
Agence France-Presse quoted the director of the daily, Seif al-Hadheri, as saying that the gunmen were holding employees, but did not give further details.
The powerful rebels have taken control of major parts in the country, including the capital Sanaa.
They took over government buildings and forced a siege on embattled President Abde Rabbu Mansour Hadi who has submitted his resignation last month.
Recently they issued a deadline to political factions to agree a way out of the crisis otherwise, the group said, it would impose its own solution.
On Thursday most Yemeni factions have agreed to set up an interim presidential council to manage the country for up to one year, negotiators said.
Delegates said that nine parties and groups, including a faction from the southern separatist Herak, agreed during negotiations in Sanaa on a five-member presidential council that would be headed by Ali Nasser Mohammed, a former president of South Yemen before the 1990 merger with North Yemen, according to Reuters.
A source close to Mohammed confirmed consultations were under way with the ex-president but said they have yet to be finalized.