Qatar considers legal action over Le Monde allegations of corruption
Qatar sports federation said it’s “considering” legal action against French newspaper Le Monde
Qatar sports federation said it’s “considering” legal action against French newspaper Le Monde over claims that the organization paid close to $3.5 million to the son of former athletics chief Lamine Diack.
In a statement, Qatar Athletics Federation said it had "no knowledge or involvement" of the money allegedly paid out by Oryx Qatar Sport Investments to a company headed by the son of the former IAAF president.
"With regards to Le Monde's article regarding wire transfers from Oryx Qatar Sport Investments to Pamodzi Sports Consulting, the QAF can confirm that they have no relationship with Oryx Qatar Sport Investments and no knowledge or involvement of the wire transfers to the named party or individual," said the federation in Sunday's statement.
"The QAF upholds the highest standards of ethics and we followed the IAAF's rules at every stage of our 2017 and 2019 bids to host the IAAF World Championships in Athletics.
"We are very disappointed to be named in these allegations.
"In response, legal action is being considered and will be taken if such false allegations continue to be made against the QAF."
It had been alleged by Le Monde that two money transfers were made on October 13 and November 7, 2011.
The French newspaper claimed it had receipts showing that payments had been made.
Papa Massata Diack, head of Pamodzi Sports Consulting, was banned for life from athletics earlier this year. He denied “ever acting in such a manner” in December 2014, according to the Guardian newspaper.
The 2017 championships were eventually awarded to London.
Lamine Diack, who headed the IAAF from 1999 to 2015, has been charged by French police on suspicion he accepted bribes to cover up doping cases in Russia.
Qatar though was later successful in bidding for the 2019 championships.