Al Jazeera journalists released after abduction in Yemen
Reporter Hamdi al-Bokari said he and his crew were subjected to ‘terrible mental torture’ by the Houthis
Three Al-Jazeera journalists who were abducted in the war-ravaged Yemeni city of Taez have been released, the network said in a statement on Thursday as one of the released reporters accused Shiite rebels of being behind the kidnapping.
The network said that reporter Hamdi al-Bokari and crew members Abdulaziz al-Sabri and Moneer al-Sabai were freed. Al-Bokari wrote on his Facebook page that he was abducted by Houthis and that they were subjected to "terrible mental torture" without elaboration.
Yemen’s civil war began when Shiite militias known as Houthis took control of the capital, Sanaa, in September 2014. In March, a coalition of countries led by Saudi Arabia began airstrikes and later, a ground operation to retake the country from the Houthis, who are allied with forces loyal to Yemen’s former president and have received support from Iran.
The province of Taez sits in the country’s rugged interior mountains and its nearly three million residents have been caught in fighting between Houthis besieging the city and pro-government fighters backed by heavy airstrikes from the Saudi-led military coalition.
Three TV journalists kidnapped in Yemeni city of TaizThe Doha-based Al Jazeera news channel said on Thursday three of its journalists had been kidnapped in the besieged Yemeni city of Taiz Television & Radio
Al Jazeera America to shut down in AprilIn mid-2013, the channel went live after hiring some 850 staff and opening 12 bureaus in the United States Television & Radio