A look at recent assassinations in Lebanon
The murder of Mohammad Shattah was the latest of a series of targeted assassinations in Lebanon
A car bomb on Friday killed a prominent pro-Western Lebanese politician, Mohammad Shattah, in a business district in central Beirut. At least five other people were killed in the blast. Here’s a look at other recent attacks in Lebanon, most of them against opponents of Syria:
-Oct. 1, 2004: Former Economy Minister Marwan Hamadeh survives a powerful Beirut car bombing, the first in a string of similar attacks targeting anti-Syrian politicians and journalists.
- Feb. 14, 2005: Former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri is assassinated in a massive bombing in Beirut. Bassel Fleihan, who served as economy minister in Hariri’s government, also died in the blast. Anti-Syrian groups, then in the opposition, blame the Syrian and Lebanese governments, charges both deny.
- June 2, 2005: Anti-Syrian journalist and activist Samir Kassir is killed by a bomb placed under his car.
- June 21, 2005: Anti-Syrian politician George Hawi, a former Communist Party leader, is killed by a bomb planted under his car.
- July 12, 2005: Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Elias Murr survives a car bombing that targets his vehicle as he drives in north Beirut. Although pro-Syrian, Murr later says he was threatened by Syria’s intelligence chief in Lebanon.
- Sept. 25, 2005: Prominent anchorwoman May Chidiac of the leading anti-Syrian TV station LBC loses an arm and a leg from a bomb placed under her car.
- Dec. 12, 2005: Gibran Tueni, a prominent anti-Syrian newspaper editor and lawmaker, is killed by a car bomb.
- Nov. 21, 2006: Pierre Gemayel, the industry minister and a prominent Christian politician, is shot dead by gunmen in a Beirut suburb.
- June 13, 2007: Walid Eido, an anti-Syrian member of parliament, is killed along with his son, two bodyguards and six others in an explosion in Beirut.
- Sept. 19, 2007: Antoine Ghanem, a pro-government lawmaker from the right-wing Christian Phalange Party, is killed in a blast in the Christian suburb of Sin el-Fil, east of Beirut. Six others are also killed.
- Dec. 12, 2007: Brig. Gen. Francois Hajj, the army’s head of operations, and his driver are killed in a car bombing in the Christian suburb of Baabda on the way to work.
- Jan. 25, 2008: Car bomb kills senior police intelligence officer, Capt. Wissam Eid, a bodyguard and at least four others in Hazmieh, a Christian neighborhood on the edge of the Lebanese capital.
- Oct. 19, 2012: A car bomb kills the chief of Lebanon’s police intelligence department, Brig. Gen. Wissam al-Hassan, in a Christian neighborhood in east Beirut. At least seven others were also killed.
Beirut car bomb kills adviser to former premierThe blast went off a few hundred meters from the government headquarters and parliament building Middle East
Blast in Beirut kills adviser to former Lebanese premierFeatures
Saudi embassy urges citizens to quit Lebanon over ‘danger’The warning comes two days after a twin suicide bombings killed 24 people near the Beirut embassy of Saudi’s regional rival Iran Middle East
Beirut’s new demon: suicide bombingsThe twin suicide blasts that rocked south of Beirut this morning are especially alarming given the tactics, the narrative and the target of the attack ... Opinion
Beirut: 23 killed in Iran embassy bombingsLebanon-based al-Qaeda-linked group Abdullah Azzam Brigades claimed responsibility for the bombings Middle East
Army defuses car bomb in Beirut’s Hezbollah bastionThe Lebanese army defused a car bomb on Monday in the southern Beirut stronghold of Hezbollah, the military said in a statement, weeks after it was ... Middle East
Car bomb kills 25 in Hezbollah area of BeirutThe death toll has risen to 25 people and more than 335 were wounded when a car bomb exploded on Thursday in the stronghold of the Lebanese militant ... Middle East
Car bomb explodes in Hezbollah stronghold in BeirutA car bomb exploded on Tuesday in Beirut’s southern suburbs, a stronghold of Lebanon’s Shiite militant group Hezbollah, wounding at least ... Middle East
The young girl who survived Beirut bombingTen-year-old Jennifer Chedid recovered from a life-threatening experience from injuries she sustained in Beirut’s deadly bomb blast that claimed the ... Videos
Restaurant camera captures deadly Beirut bombingA restaurant camera in Beirut’s Ashrafieh district captured the moments of the blast that killed Lebanon’s internal security chief Wessam al-Hassan. ... News
Syrian regime likely involved in Beirut car bombing FranceSyria was probably involved in a Beirut car bombing that killed internal security chief General Wissam al-Hassan, French Foreign Minister Laurent ... News
Beirut bombing seen as warning message from AssadThe bombing of a Beirut neighborhood on Friday is a message by President Bashar al-Assad’s regime to regional and international powers to stop their ... News