.
.
.
.

Former FA chairman: Qatar should re-bid for 2022 World Cup

Published: Updated:

Former British Football Association chairman David Bernstein said that Qatar should re-bid for the 2022 World Cup along with USA and Australia, Britain's Daily Mirror reported on Sunday.

Bernstein is concerned over the summer temperatures in Qatar, which can go up to 50 degrees.

“You can’t bid on one basis and then switch around without going through the bidding process again,” he was quoted as saying in the Daily Mirror.

“Everybody knew what the climate was like in Qatar – it wasn’t a secret that it’s hot. And yet the FIFA executive committee accepted the bid.”

Bernstein said that Qatar should rebid for the tournament and let the United States and Australia bid against them again if they wish.

The World Cup usually takes place in June but FIFA President Sepp Blatter admitted last week that it was a mistake to award a summer event to Qatar, which also led to a controversial plan to switch the football tournament in the winter.

The newspaper reported that Blatter believes next month’s FIFA meeting in Zurich will approve the change to a winter tournament.

But Bernstein, who stepped down from FA last July, is against switching the tournament to winter.

“You can’t just arbitrarily change from summer to winter,” he was quoted as saying.

“Just to switch doesn’t seem like natural justice. It would have an adverse effect on the Premier League and other major leagues in Europe and not just for one season, but for the seasons either side.”

FIFA’s Executive Committee will examine proposals to change the date of the tournament when it convenes in Zurich in early October.

Qatar won the rights to host to Football tournament for 2022 three years ago, despite the bid being declared “high risk” by FIFA’s own inspection team.