Messi hat trick guides Barca to 4-3 win at Madrid
The teams went into the break level at 2-2 after Messi slotted in an equalizer
Lionel Messi scored a hat trick to give Barcelona a 4-3 win at 10-man Real Madrid in an entertaining and contentious “clasico” match that kept the title race wide open.
Andres Iniesta kicked off the pulsating game between the Spanish giants by rocketing home an early opener, only for Karim Benzema’s brace to put the hosts ahead by the 24th.
The teams went into the break level at 2-2 after Messi slotted in an equalizer, only for Cristiano Ronaldo to re-establish Madrid’s lead with a 55th-minute penalty.
But Messi scored a pair of penalties after that - including the 65th-minute equalizer after Sergio Ramos was sent off - to move Barcelona within one point of Atletico Madrid and Madrid.
Messi also climbed to No. 2 on the Spanish league’s all-time scoring list with 235 goals, passing Hugo Sanchez.
- Barcelona, Messi top of this week's AP global 10
- Messi breaks Barcelona scorer record
- Syria’s messy transformation enters a fourth year
- Messi calls for end to violence against Syrian children
- Messi on target as Barcelona eliminate Man City
- What’s wrong with Messi? Player’s vomiting worries Barcelona coach