Daughter of World Cup official had '$3.4m put into account'
The 10-year-old daughter of Ricardo Teixeira, a former FIFA executive committee member, received payment in 2011
The account of a 10-year-old daughter of a FIFA executive was pumped with $3.4 million, according to a report by The Telegraph on Friday, raising more questions over the finances of the officials who awarded Russia and Qatar the 2018 and 2022 tournaments.
Antonia Wigand Teixeira, the daughter of the Brazilian representative of the FIFA executive committee, had reportedly received the money in 2011.
Her father Ricardo, part of the committee which helped select the World Cup host nation, is currently under investigation over his financial activities and has since stepped down from his position.
The sum transferred to Antonia’s account is thought to have been deposited by Sandro Rosell, former head of Nike Brazil and President of Barcelona Football Club. It is reported the two men had a long-standing business relationship.
A statement issued by lawyers acting for the Qatar bid said the payment from Mr. Rosell to Mr. Teixeira had nothing to do with the country’s bid for the 2022 World Cup and reiterated that no payments were given to secure Mr. Teixeira’s vote.
The decision to award Qatar the World Cup has raised suspicions since its announcement. Opponents to the verdict reason it is irrational to hold a sports competition in a desert state where temperatures will reach 104 F (40 C).
Mr. Teixeira is not the only committee member to be on the receiving end of scrutiny into his financial activities.
Last month, the Telegraph disclosed that Jack Warner, a former vice-president of FIFA, and his family appeared to have been paid almost $2 million from a Qatari firm linked to the 2022 World Cup bid.
Mr. Warner appears to have been personally paid $1.2 million by a company controlled by a former Qatari football official shortly after the decision to award the country the tournament.
A spokesman for Qatar’s 2022 World Cup organizing committee said last month it had strictly adhered to Fifa’s bidding regulations and was unaware of any allegations surrounding business dealings between private individuals.
- Calls for FIFA probe amid Qatar payments scandal
- FIFA members quizzed in Qatar, Russia World Cup ethics probe
- Qatar denies ‘$2m payout’ to FIFA official, family
- British companies win World Cup stadium contract in Qatar
- Qatar 2022 World Cup to move to winter
- Ancelotti: ‘no problem’ playing World Cup 2022 in winter
- Qatar outlines workers’ rights for World Cup construction firms
- Over 400 Nepalese workers die in Qatar’s building sites since World Cup bid
- Over 500 migrant workers died in Qatar
- Heat and human rights: will the Qatar 2022 World Cup ever kick off?