Benzema guides Madrid to 1-0 win over Bayern
Ronaldo returned from a left leg injury but missed a number of scoring opportunities
Karim Benzema scored to give Real Madrid a 1-0 win over title holder Bayern Munich Wednesday and a slight advantage in their Champions League semifinal.
Madrid endured plenty of pressure in the first leg match, but scored from a 19th-minute counter-attack when Cristiano Ronaldo found Fabio Coentrao speeding down left to cross into the box for Benzema to tap beyond goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.
Ronaldo returned from a left leg injury but missed a number of scoring opportunities, while Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas denied substitute Mario Goetze in the 84th.
Nine-time champion Madrid will rue a number of missed opportunities to extend its lead going into Tuesday's return leg. Madrid wants to end a three-season semifinal losing streak and reach the final for the first time since winning in 2002.
- Bayern and Real clash in Champions League semis
- Bayern survives Evra stunner to knock out Man United
- Bayern draws 1-1 with Man United in Champs League
- Bale leads Madrid 2-1 past Barca for Copa del Rey
- Real Madrid looks to avoid another Dortmund exit
- Chelsea ease past Galatasaray, Real thrash Schalke
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins FIFA best player award