Barcelona hires Luis Enrique as its new coach
Barcelona says that Enrique has agreed to a two-year deal
Barcelona has hired Luis Enrique as its new coach, succeeding Gerardo Martino who stepped down on Saturday after the club failed to defend its Spanish league title.
Barcelona said on its website Monday that Enrique has agreed to a two-year deal. Enrique is a former Barcelona player and had been widely expected to be appointed as the club's new coach after stepping down from his position at Celta Vigo.
Barcelona is coming off a disappointing season where it failed to win a major trophy for the first time in six years.
- Martino leaves Barcelona after Atletico wins league title
- Puyol bids emotional farewell to Barcelona
- Messi wants to win title for Tito Vilanova
- Banana-thrower seized for racial insult on Alves
- Alves gets support after racist banana taunt
- Former Barcelona coach Vilanova dies at 45
- FIFA suspends Barcelona transfer ban during appeal
- Bale leads Madrid 2-1 past Barca for Copa del Rey