World Cup kicks off in style as stadium shines
Jennifer Lopez, rapper Pitbull and Brazilian pop star Claudia Leitte bounced around a giant stage
With all of the issues and questions leading up to the World Cup, Itaquerao Stadium shined under blue skies as Brazil kicked off its home World Cup with a football-style carnival.
Jennifer Lopez, rapper Pitbull and Brazilian pop star Claudia Leitte bounced around a giant stage resembling a peeled melon singing “We Are One” on Brazil’s Valentine’s Day.
Just the start
Brazil is ready to samba, and plans to teach the world to join in for the coming month during soccer’s showcase tournament.
The soccer-crazed country hoped Thursday’s Croatia-Brazil opener would just be the start of a run to extend its record to six World Cup wins.
The field was covered in for the opening ceremony, which cost $8 million, or about $18 million Brazilian reais.
- Ramadan seen to affect Muslim World Cup players
- Big screens will air World Cup matches for free in Makkah
- Feed your football fever with these delicious World Cup snacks
- Britain: Somali Islamists plotting Djibouti attack
- Digital Ronaldo, Roonie star in Nike World Cup-themed ad
- Will Lebanon be able to watch the FIFA World Cup?
- Meet Shaheen, the camel trying to predict World Cup wins