Dutch beat Chile 2-0 to top Group B
Both teams had already advanced to the second round
Leroy Fer scored a minute after coming on as a substitute to help give the Netherlands a 2-0 victory over Chile on Monday and top Group B at the World Cup with three consecutive wins.
Fer had only just replaced Wesley Sneijder when he rose almost unmarked in the Chile penalty area to put the Dutch ahead with a powerful 77th-minute header. Another substitute, Memphis Depay, then finished off a counterattack in injury time to double the lead.
Both teams had already advanced to the second round, but Chile's first loss of the tournament consigned it to second place in Group B.
The Dutch now travel to Fortaleza to play the Group A runner-up in the round of 16. Chile faces the Group A winner.
- Shockwaves of Spain’s World Cup exit reach North Korea
- The reign of Spain is over; Netherlands looks good
- Iran arrests two over World Cup video
- Algeria restores Arab pride at the World Cup
- Germany draws 2-2 with Ghana at World Cup
- Tactical Iran face uphill battle in World Cup
- After 32 years, Honduras scores first World Cup goal
- World Cup television coverage breaks viewing records
- World Cup: France beats Switzerland 5-2
- Being World Cup favorites may be a curse