Morocco to host FIFA tournament despite Ebola threats
FIFA officials said Morocco will continue to host the Club World Cup tournament
Despite the Ebola outbreak which has plagued parts of Africa, FIFA announced Thursday it will continue to hold the Club World Cup tournament in Morocco, Ahram Online reported. .
There have been no recorded cases of Ebola in the North African country, FIFA officials told reporters citing the World Health Organization (WHO).
“Should the situation change, we will make contact with the participating clubs," officials said in a press conference.
“The health of players, officials and supporters is an absolute priority during any FIFA competition,” officials added.
“Two months before the start of the competition, FIFA will send a memorandum to each of the participating clubs containing medical information pertaining to the tournament. This is standard procedure for every FIFA competition," FIFA said.
Morocco won the vote to host the FIFA Club World Cup competitions for the years 2014 and 2015.
So far, five clubs qualified for the 2014 tournament: hosts and Moroccan champions Moghreb Tetouan, European Champions
Real Madrid, Oceania Champions Auckland City, San Lorenzo from the CONMEBOL and Cruz Azul from the CONCACAF.
The Asian and African Champions are yet to be determined.
Since it hit the continent in December 2013, WHO statistics place the Ebola death toll at more than 1200 people.
Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria have been affected the most by the deadly virus.
- IOC bars Ebola-region athletes from some events in Youth Games
- Doctor treated with Ebola drug discharged from U.S. hospital
- Germany quarantines suspected Ebola patient
- West Africa Ebola death toll passes 1,200
- U.N. urges exit screening for Ebola at some airports
- Ivory Coast bans all flights from Ebola-affected countries