Argentina beat World Cup champs 4–2 in rematch
Angel di Maria set up three goals and scored the fourth himself
Angel di Maria set up three goals and scored the fourth himself as Argentina trounced Germany 4-2 in their friendly game Wednesday to get a small measure of payback after losing to the host in the World Cup final.
Argentina was up 4-0 after just 50 minutes to dampen the home side's World Cup title celebrations in its first game since winning the final 1-0 in extra time in Brazil in July.
Di Maria set up Sergio Aguero in the 21st minute, Erik Lamela's outstanding volley in the 40th, and Federico Fernandez' headed goal two minutes after the interval.
Di Maria crowned his performance in the 50th with a chip over substitute Germany 'keeper Roman Weidenfeller.
Andre Schuerrle pulled one back two minutes later before Mario Goetze, who scored the winning goal in the World Cup final, made it 4-2 in the 78th.
- Maradona foul: Football star seen slapping man in Argentina
- Video: Maradona seen slapping man in Argentina
- Argentina beat World Cup champs 4–2 in rematch
- Germany World Cup heroes return to huge fan party
- Germany top of FIFA rankings after World Cup win
- Germany’s WAGS cheer, Merkel joins team for a selfie
- World Cup referee styles hair after big screen glimpse
- Argentine World Cup celebration marred by violence
- Internet prankster invades pitch in World Cup final