.
.
.
.

FIFA's long-awaited corruption report will ‘never be published’

The news triggered fury among campaigners that have hoped for increasing transparency at the footballing body

Published: Updated:

A long-awaited report thought to disclose details of FIFA’s alleged corruption in the bidding to two upcoming World Cup tournaments will “never be published,” a report by the Sunday Times said.

FIFA ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, responsible for deciding whether there was corruption in the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, told the newspaper would make sure that the “the 350-page report and 200,000 pages of evidence” would never be published.

The judge said earlier that only four people have seen the report following an investigation into the decisions following a year-long probe by Michael Garcia, FIFA's ethics investigator and a former United States attorney.

Eckert told the Sunday Times they are not allowed by FIFA rules to share the report’s content publically, including FIFA’s president, Sepp Blatter, and all its 27 executive members.

The news triggered fury among campaigners that have hoped for increasing transparency at the footballing body.

The 2018 World Cup was awarded to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar simultaneously by FIFA in December 2010, following a turbulent bidding process.

Shortly before this year's World Cup in Brazil, the Sunday Times reported that some of the 'millions of documents' it had seen linked payments by former FIFA executive committee member Mohamed Bin Hammam to officials to win backing for Qatar's World Cup bid.

(with Reuters)