Suarez scores as Barca beats Madrid 2-1 to extend Liga lead
Barca extends its Spanish league lead to four points
Luis Suarez scored the winning goal to give Barcelona a 2-1 win over title rival Real Madrid at Camp Nou on Sunday and extend its Spanish league lead to four points.
Lionel Messi curled in a perfect free kick for Jeremy Mathieu to head in Barcelona's opener in the 19th minute of a first half otherwise dominated by Madrid.
Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo, who had hit the woodwork before Barcelona's goal, leveled from Karim Benzema's superb pass in the 31st.
But Suarez finally broke free from Madrid’s defense to restore Barcelona's lead in the 56th, and Messi and Neymar both went close to adding goals in a testy second half.
Barcelona opened up a four-point gap over Madrid with another 10 rounds remaining to decide the league crown.
- Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo accused of foul-mouthing fans
- Real Madrid stumbles against Athletic Bilbao in La Liga race
- Easier to beat Blatter with one candidate, says Van Praag
- Barcelona midfielder Busquets out of Rayo clash
- Cristiano Ronaldo named Real Madrid’s third highest top scorer
- How Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale can silence the Bernabeu boos?
- Barcelona president suggests Real behind Neymar court case