Robin van Persie is in line for a recall to the Netherlands national team after an absence of almost two years.
The Fenerbahce forward was named on Wednesday in a preliminary squad for two key World Cup qualifiers in the next fortnight.
Ryan Babel and Eljero Elia have also been recalled as coach Dick Advocaat named 32 players for the important qualifier against Group A leaders France in Paris on Aug. 31 and then at home to Bulgaria in Amsterdam on Sept. 3.
There is a first call-up for Ajax Amsterdam’s 20-year-old midfielder Donny van de Beek, who scored two in the early rounds of the Champions League over the last month.
The 34-year-old van Persie, whose 50 goals in 101 internationals makes him the the Netherlands' top scorer, last played in a 3-2 loss to the Czech Republic in the European Championship qualifier in October 2015. He scored an own goal and was later dropped by Advocaat’s predecessor Danny Blind.
“I worked with him last season at Fenerbahce where he showed what he could do. Robin is a player we might still need but we’ll see in the next weeks how fit he is and if he is playing,” Advocaat said in a statement released by the Dutch football association.
“This is a preliminary squad so players can fall out or be included later.”
Besiktas striker Babel, 30, was last in the team in late 2011, while Elia, who also plays in Turkey, for Basaksehir, has not been in the team since 2012.
Advocaat was named in May to try and resurrect the Dutch’s hopes of qualifying for the next World Cup in Russia as they sit third in their group with 10 points from six games, three behind joint leaders France and Sweden.
Manchester United set to offer striker $7 mlm to leaveThe club is reportedly willing to offer Robin van Persie half of his £10 mln loyalty bonus, which was agreed when he joined from Arsenal in 2012 Sports
Van Gaal to help in search for new Netherlands coachLouis van Gaal featured prominently as Dutch media speculated over possible coaches for the national team but the country’s football association ... Sports
Robben extends Bayern contract to 2018Bayern says the Netherlands winger’s contract will run until the end of June 2018. Robben has been with the club for almost eight years, joining from Real Madrid in 2009 Sports
Turkey’s Erdogan says apology from Netherlands not enough, attacks MerkelTurkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday a diplomatic row with the Netherlands could not be dismissed with an apology and warned of further ... Middle East