Ousmane Dembele: Story behind player that Barcelona bought for €150 million
Ousmane Dembele was a substitute in one of the average teams in France almost two years ago, now he is the new star of Barcelona in a transfer worth around 150 million euros.
Here’s a few fast facts about him:
• The 20-year-old French striker played barely seven selections in France’s national team.
• His move to Barcelona from Borussia Dortmund represents one of the most expensive transfers in the history between two football clubs: €150m, with 40% of that in bonus payments.
• Barca equaled the record transfer of Paul Pogba from Juventus to Manchester United.
• Indeed, the total cost of the recent transfer of Brazilian star Neymar to Paris Saint Germain is higher (at €222m), but that was a different process.
• Ousmane’s mother Fatimata, of Mauritanian origin, raised him and played a major role in his career.
• She was the person who told the French forward to sign a first professional contract at his club Rennes in 2015, despite interest from Europe's big clubs.
• Instead of joining Lehavre academy when he was 13, he decided in extremis, to join Stade Rennais because this club offered to lodge his mother, brother and two sisters.
Sudan’s Al Hilal defender in Barcelona trials with Catalan giantsA defender from Sudanese club Al Hilal has been called up by Barcelona FC for trials Al Hilal announced on its official webpage on Sunday. The 21-year ... Sports
Barcelona suing Neymar for alleged breach of contractBarcelona are suing Neymar for 8.5 million euros for alleged breach of contract and demanding he return the loyalty bonus paid after he renewed his ... Sports
Barcelona attacker’s pro-Assad selfie throws mixed signalsThe Facebook account of the Barcelona attacker has raised a lot of questions in recent days after it emerged that Moussa Oukabir posted what appeared ... Features