Ousmane Dembele: Story behind player that Barcelona bought for €150 million
Ousmane Dembele was a substitute in one of the average teams in France almost two years ago, now he is the new star of Barcelona in a transfer worth around 150 million euros.
Here’s a few fast facts about him:
• The 20-year-old French striker played barely seven selections in France’s national team.
• His move to Barcelona from Borussia Dortmund represents one of the most expensive transfers in the history between two football clubs: €150m, with 40% of that in bonus payments.
• Barca equaled the record transfer of Paul Pogba from Juventus to Manchester United.
• Indeed, the total cost of the recent transfer of Brazilian star Neymar to Paris Saint Germain is higher (at €222m), but that was a different process.
• Ousmane’s mother Fatimata, of Mauritanian origin, raised him and played a major role in his career.
• She was the person who told the French forward to sign a first professional contract at his club Rennes in 2015, despite interest from Europe's big clubs.
• Instead of joining Lehavre academy when he was 13, he decided in extremis, to join Stade Rennais because this club offered to lodge his mother, brother and two sisters.