.
.
.
.

Hector Cuper leaves role as Egypt boss after dismal World Cup campaign

Published: Updated:

Hector Cuper has departed his role as Egypt manager following a dismal World Cup campaign that culminated in a group stage exit – in which Egypt finished bottom of Group A without registering a single point.

Cuper was out of contract anyway after the tournament, but the Egyptian FA confirmed on Tuesday that he would leave his position as manager.

Cuper had defended team tactics and said Egypt were unlucky to end their World Cup expedition with a third successive defeat after going down to a last-gasp goal against Saudi Arabia on Monday.

Cuper said the counter attack game, where Mohamed Salah’s speed on the break has created many chances and goals, had been the bedrock of Egypt’s play for the 3-1/2 years since he took charge.

“We’ve been told over and over again we were too defensive but we qualified for the World Cup with the same approach, and for the first time in 28 years. We got to the final of the African Nations Cup playing in this way. Sometimes I feel there is a need to criticize the performance just because we lost.”

(With Reuters)