Wimbledon canceled for the first time since World War Two due to coronavirus
The Wimbledon championships were canceled for the first time since World War Two on Wednesday as the coronavirus pandemic struck another blue-riband sports event off the calendar and wiped out the entire tennis grasscourt season.
While the decision had looked inevitable for some time, since the virtual shutdown of world sport and the postponement of the Tokyo Olympics, Wimbledon had been one of the few events not to have been officially canceled or postponed.
But after emergency talks between the various stakeholders over the last few days, the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) announced that it was impossible for the grasscourt Grand Slam, scheduled for June 29-July 12, to take place.
Read more: Expo 2020 Dubai committee recommends one-year delay for world fair
“It is with great regret that the main board ... have today decided that The Championships 2020 will be canceled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic,” the AELTC said in a statement.
“The 134th Championships will instead be staged from June 28 to July 11, 2021.”
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
Following the cancellation of the grasscourt major, and with the pandemic worsening in Europe and the US, the men's ATP Tour, women's WTA Tour, and the International Tennis Federation extended the suspension of professional tennis for another five weeks to July 13.
“At this time, tournaments taking place from July 13, 2020 onwards are still planning to proceed as per the published schedule,” said a joint statement from the governing bodies.
A ‘challenge’ to decide who covers cost of postponing Tokyo Olympics
The French Open, originally due to be held from May 24-June 7 was postponed and controversially rescheduled by the French tennis federation for Sept. 20-Oct. 4, shortly after the end of the US Open.
The US Open organizers said they were continuing with their plans to host the hardcourt Grand Slam in New York as scheduled from Aug 31-Sep 14.
Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus.— Boris Johnson #StayHomeSaveLives (@BorisJohnson) March 27, 2020
I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government’s response via video-conference as we fight this virus.
Together we will beat this. #StayHomeSaveLives pic.twitter.com/9Te6aFP0Ri
Coronavirus in the UK
Britain's death toll from the virus reached 2,352 on Wednesday, according to NHS figures.
On Wednesday, 29,474 people had tested positive for the virus, an increase of 4,324 over the previous day.
The UK initially appeared to consider the strategy of herd immunity, which involves allowing a significant part of the population to catch the virus in the hope that they become immune to it and prevent subsequent outbreaks.
However, the government has since shifted to a containment strategy in line with other countries.
UK residents are now advised to stay at home and only allowed out for essential tasks or one exercise session a day.
Tennis star Maria Sharapova retires at 32Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova, a five-time Grand Slam winner, is retiring from professional tennis at the age of 32, she wrote in Vanity Fair on ... Sports
French Open postponed until September due to coronavirusThe French Open tennis tournament was postponed for about four months because of the coronavirus pandemic, shifting from May to September. The French ... Sports