Lionel Messi has told Barcelona he wants to leave the club after nearly two decades with the Spanish giants.
The club confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday that the Argentina great sent a document expressing his desire to leave.
The announcement comes 11 days after Barcelona’s humiliating 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarterfinals, one of the worst defeats in the player’s career and in the club’s history.
The defeat capped a difficult season for Barcelona — the first without a title since 2007-08 — and ignited one of its worst crises ever.
Messi has won a record six Ballon d’Or awards during his time at Barcelona as the top player in the world, and has helped the club win 10 Spanish league titles and four Champions League crowns.
- Lionel Messi unwilling to renew Barca contract, ready to leave in 2021: Report
- Pitch invader and Messi performance highlight Barca win over Mallorca
- Messi, Hamilton joint winners of Sportsman of the Year at Laureus Awards
- Messi claims record sixth men’s Ballon d’Or, Rapinoe wins women’s award
- Messi gives set-piece masterclass as Barca crush Celta
- Messi wins best FIFA player of the year for record sixth time
- Messi has option to leave Barca next summer
- Messi wanted to leave Barca during tax investigation