Atletico Madrid forward Luis Suarez is set to return to action this weekend after the Liga club confirmed on Thursday that the Uruguayan had returned a negative COVID-19 test.
The 33-year-old tested positive for coronavirus last month on international duty and missed his country’s win over Colombia and defeat by Brazil as well as Atleti’s last four fixtures.
“Luis Suarez will rejoin the first team group training session... after returning a negative PCR test conducted by La Liga,” a club statement read.
Suarez joined Atleti from Barcelona in the last transfer window and has scored five goals in six La Liga appearances for the Rojiblancos.
Diego Simeone’s side, who host Valladolid on Saturday before traveling to Salzburg for a crunch Champions League group stage tie on Wednesday, currently sit second in La Liga on 23 points, one point behind leaders Real Sociedad with two games in hand.
Uruguayan Suarez says he was treated shabbily in final days at BarcaLuis Suarez has said he was reduced to tears by Barcelona’s treatment of him in his final weeks at the club before leaving for La Liga rivals Atletico ... Sports
Coronavirus: Soccer clubs in London, Liverpool set to welcome fans back to stadiumsFans of Premier League clubs in London and Liverpool can attend games when a month-long national lockdown to contain the spread of COVID-19 is lifted ... Coronavirus
Argentinian soccer superstar Maradona dies of heart attackArgentina soccer legend Diego Maradona, widely regarded as one of the game's greatest ever players, died of a heart attack on Wednesday, his lawyer ... World News