Saudi teacher whipping 13 students caught on camera
The video footage shows the teacher hitting the boys as they walk past him
A Saudi teacher has been caught on camera whipping 13 students with a stick, causing uproar in the country as the Saudi Ministry of Education begins an investigation into the incident.
The video footage, aired on Al Arabiya News Channel this week, shows the teacher hitting the boys as they walk past him. In response, the education ministry announced that it had begun an investigation, Okaz newspaper reported.
In remarks regarding the video, Dr. Ibrahim al-Shedi, a member of the Saudi Human Rights Council, told Al Arabiya News Channel the act of beating students amounted to “abuse.”
“Clearly these students were abused. Such persons should not be teachers and shouldn’t work in any school,” he said
“Unfortunately, I don’t think that this evil phenomena will end, even if organizational measures are taken.
“However, we will keep on denouncing these acts and try our best … in cooperation with the concerned authorities … to put an end to this phenomenon.”
Al-Shedi added that the children and their parents have the right to file a complaint with the Ministry of Education.
- North Korean students required to have Kim Jong-Un haircut
- Viral video exposes Lebanese teacher beating students
- At least one killed in Egypt student protest
- ‘Revolution’ call at funeral for Sudan student
- ‘Don’t become slaves to the Internet,’ Erdogan tells students
- Family blames Saudi gender segregation rules for student’s death