‘Turn off the lights!’ Egypt woman files for divorce over bickering
Her husband, during sessions to settle disputes, reportedly referred to her as “silly”
Having fought with her husband of 12 months over “turning off the lights before bedtime,” an Egyptian woman has filed for divorce this week at a Cairo court.
According to Egyptian newspaper, Youm7, the court is scheduled to look into case filed by Shireen Mahrous against her husband, referred to as Mounir A., on July 30.
“We became very different after marriage. I didn’t notice these huge differences while we were engaged. Even turning off the lights before we sleep or the type of food to eat or what time to wake up would cause a problem,” the newspaper quoted Mahrous as saying.
“During these 12 months of marriage, we tried to tolerate the situation, but we’ve failed. He refused to grant me divorce when I asked for it and told me all married couples are unhappy and that we are now married and that this is God’s will but I told him I want a husband who I can feel loves me,” she added.
Meanwhile her husband, during sessions to settle disputes, reportedly referred to Mahrous as “silly.”
“I didn’t realize she was that silly until after marriage. Her character shocked me; she cries 24/7 over the silliest of reasons and she always threatens to leave the house. She’d fight over anything and complained to her parents all the time, so I’ve realized she’s not that bright. I had tried to be patient because I realize marriage is not a game, in which you marry one day and simply get divorced the next,” he said.
- Egyptian wife divorces husband over demands to look like Kim Kardashian
- Iran changes law to make divorce harder
- Why are more and more Saudi women asking for divorce?
- Over 1,000 women in Saudi Arabia ask for divorce in six months
- Court: U.S. woman can serve divorce papers via Facebook
- Morocco investigative journalist gets 10 months for adultery
- Man in Saudi Arabia divorces wife over WhatsApp message
- Saudi women abandoned by husbands denied Social Affairs services
- Mauritanian women and spread of divorce
- Morocco teen forced to marry ‘rapist’ attacked over divorce