Reality television star Kim Kardashian is now more than ever the queen of social media, announcing that her Instagram account has a record 45 million followers.
With that tally, the star of “Keeping up with the Kardashians” and wife of rapper Kanye West now has more followers than any other Instagram user.
Pop stars Taylor Swift and Beyonce are close behind at 44.7 million and 44.6 million, respectively, and two other pop stars, Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande, round out the top five.
Instagram, acquired by Facebook in 2012, is a platform for users to share photos, with little emphasis on text, a format that may be particularly well-suited to Kardashian’s particular self-promotion genius.
A photo of newlyweds Kardashian and West kissing at their wedding, posted to her account last year, became the most “liked” photo on Instagram before being surpassed by a photo on the account of her younger half-sister, Kendall Jenner, earlier this summer.
Kardashian still has plenty of room for improvement on less photo-centric social media; Katy Perry leads all Twitter users with 74.8 million followers, while Kardashian has a mere 34.9 million.
- Kylie Jenner gets $10m offer for sex tape
- ‘No more Kardashians! It’s a non-story!’ News anchor walks off TV set
- Kim Kardashian gets a selfie with ‘our next president’ Hillary Clinton
- Caitlyn as popular as Kim? Americans cautious as Jenner show airs
- Khloe Kardashian to host new talk show
- Kim Kardashian immortalized with Madame Tussauds selfie waxwork