‘Liquor dens’ busted in Saudi cities of Riyadh and Taif
Seven young Africans were caught brewing and selling liquor in Taif, Col. Atti Al-Qurashi, spokesman for Makkah provincial police
Seven young Africans were caught brewing and selling liquor in the Saudi city of Taif, Col. Atti Al-Qurashi, spokesman for Makkah provincial police, said on Sunday.
The seven men had been producing highly intoxicating arak in mountainous areas outside the city, which are not easily accessible to the authorities because of the difficult terrain.
Al-Qurashi said police who combed the area found a large number of barrels containing arak in addition to bottles ready for sale.
The men were handed over to the prosecution authorities along with the seized liquor.
Meanwhile, police busted a liquor-brewing factory run by a Sri Lankan woman in Faiyha District of eastern Riyadh.
Police acted on a tip-off from a citizen about suspicious activities taking place in one of the apartments in his neighborhood, Col. Fawwaz Al-Maiman, spokesman for Riyadh Police, said on Sunday. The citizen told the police that he suspected alcohol brewing in the apartment because of the bad smell coming out of it.
“On searching the apartment, an alcohol factory was found in addition to seven large barrels and 50 family-size bottles filled with arak,” he said.
Maiman said a large amount of money and expensive jewelry was also found in the woman’s possession.
He said the woman was handed over to the Al-Manar police station for necessary legal action.
The spokesman urged citizens and expatriates to report any suspicious activities anywhere anytime saying that the security of the country is the responsibility of all.
This article first appeared in the This article first appeared in the Saudi Gazette on Nov. 2, 2015.
- Dubai police seek to prosecute Saudi under new anti-hate law
- Saudi crown prince: The criminals disregarded the sanctity of God’s houses
- Female Saudi student leads group to thank to Cleveland police
- Saudi religious police arrest ‘online blackmailer’
- French police arrest nine over brazen Saudi convoy carjacking
- Defense contractor says it employs Americans shot in Saudi
- Saudi police raid Islamist cell after deadly attack
- Saudi authorities catch police shooting suspect