Meet Argentina’s new first lady: a Lebanese model with Muslim heritage
Mauricio Macri is married to and has a daughter from Juliana Awada, who comes from a Lebanese and Syrian descent
Argentina’s President elect Mauricio Macri, who is vowing to correct problems created by the South American’s previous government, happens to be married to a woman of Lebanese and Syrian descent.
Twice divorced, the 56-year-old Macri is married to the 41-year-old model and fashion entrepreneur, Juliana Awada, with whom he has a daughter.
Awada’s father is a Lebanese immigrant - native of Baalbek, and mother of Syrian immigrant background, and both are Muslims in heritage.
In an interview with La Nacion newspaper in 2012, Awada said her father is a liberal Muslim who had no objections when one of her sisters married in a church or when her other sister married a Jew.
- Argentina: doors are open to welcome Syrian refugees
- Messi scores twice in Argentina 7-0 win against Bolivia
- With a blow of a kiss, Maradona roars on Argentina
- Angel Di Maria spotted in Doha ahead of Paris Saint-Germain medical
- Judge releases Argentine businessmen held in FIFA scandal
- Man United sign Argentina keeper Romero on free transfer