Bend it to mend it: Top 3 yoga moves to fix sleep problems
Yoga in the evening or directly before bed can help relax the body and mind
For many of us, it is not easy to slow down our brain after a hectic day, in which case falling asleep can be difficult. Yoga in the evening or directly before bed can help relax the body and mind.
- deepen your breath to slow the heart rate and prepares the body for rest
- kneel down and sit back on your heels (use a rolled-up yoga matt under your knees if needed)
- extend your torso over your legs and rest your forehead on the floor
- relax your neck and shoulders
- lie in this position as long as you are comfortable, and repeat two to three times
Cat / cow
Stretches and strengthens the spine and neck, and relieves stress.
- get onto all fours and spread your fingers wide
- place your hands directly under your shoulders, and your knees in line with your hips
- inhale as you tuck your tailbone under, round your back, and look toward your belly
- exhale as you drop your belly, arch your lower back, and look up
- perform slowly 10-20 repetitions, two to three sets
The ultimate mental release and relaxation pose.
- lie on your back, and imagine that you are embedded in a pool of sand
- keep your legs extended out straight and slightly apart, and your arms at your sides with the palms up
- close your eyes, and breathe slowly and deeply into your belly
- feel every part of your body sinking into the warm, soft sand
- lie for three to five minutes, or use a relaxing song as a timer
- once the song finishes, go to bed and allow yourself to fall asleep
Our fitness expert can be contacted on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/360holisticpatterns/