It’s official: ‘The Punisher’ spinoff is coming to Netflix
Netflix and Marvel confirmed they have green lit the first season of ‘The Punisher’
Netflix and Marvel confirmed they have green lit ‘The Punisher’ standalone series with actor Jon Bernthal reprising the vigilante role of Frank Castle – who was introduced in the second season of Daredevil.
Netflix announced the news Friday on their official Twitter account, writing, "The Punisher is back. Locked and loaded."
The Punisher is back. Locked and loaded.https://t.co/nGKCa2taEV— Netflix US (@netflix) April 29, 2016
“We want to thank the fans who are clamoring for more of Jon’s stunning and powerful performance as Frank Castle from ‘Marvel’s Daredevil,’” head of Marvel Television, Jeph Loeb, said in a statement.
“Now combined with Showrunner Steve Lightfoot’s compelling writing, we’re thrilled to bring ‘Marvel’s The Punisher’ to Netflix.”
The comic book turned Netflix is the sixth Marvel series after Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, The Defenders and the upcoming Luke Cage.
According to audience rating unveiled by Variety last year, “Daredevil” is one of the most-watched streaming shows on Netflix.
- Netflix overtakes HBO with more original programming
- ‘Gilmore Girls’ producer sues for fees on Netflix episodes
- Netflix to film series based on investigation of Petrobras
- Netflix to bring back hit 'Gilmore Girls' TV series
- Netflix global push grabs more customers than expected
- Netflix chief says 2016 will bring emphasis on family shows