Muslim woman poses for selfies next to anti-Muslim protesters in Belgium
Zakia Belkhiri smiled and pouted in front of a crowd protesting against a Muslim Expo. Her selfies went viral on Twitter
A far-right group recently gathered outside of a Muslim Expo in Belgium to protest against what they saw as an event promoting Islamic lifestyle, art and culture.
Around 40 member of Vlaams Belang, a right-wing Belgian political party, carried posters that showed their overt rejection to anything Muslim from mosques, scarves and Halal food in the northern city of Antwerp.
Yet the protests did not seem to break the spirit of Zakia Belkhiri, who bravely started a counter-protest of her own.
Instead, the young Muslim woman, who was donning her Islamic headscarf, took selfies next to the protesters, flashing a peace sign and a smile.
Belkhiri shared the pictures on her Twitter account and to her surprise, it went viral.
Quand Zakia Belkhiri, 22 ans, rejoint les rangs d'une manifestation islamophobe en Belgique. La sista m'a tueR. pic.twitter.com/f062WYEGHQ— Sihame Assbague (@s_assbague) May 17, 2016
Belkhiri also seized the opportunity to send a message of peace after her pictures gained momentum.
- Do we have the right to be proud of the London mayor?
- Comoros ready to take Kuwait's stateless, says minister
- Obama congratulates presumptive Philippine president, stresses rights
- Rights group documents ISIS atrocities in Libyan city of Sirte
- Turkish journalist stripped of parental rights over court coverage: lawyer
- Israeli govt threatens to shut down human rights group
- Last Hour: Hijab asks Assad to leave at the beginning of the transitional process
- Festival apologizes that US Olympic fencer asked to remove her hijab
- Lebanese diva Haifa Wehbe’s ‘Hijab’ photoshoot angers fans