A 40-year-old Pakistani taxi driver in the UAE has been fined AED1,000 for expressing his ‘love’ to a 16-year-old he was driving home.
The girl, an American student residing in Dubai Healthcare City, has been commuting with the driver for nearly three weeks, reported Gulf News.
According to the victim’s report, on the way to dropping her home from a friend’s party in Sharjah, the driver said that he ‘loved her’ and proceeded to “hold her hand” on several occasions.
Since the instance, the man has reportedly continued to harass the girl through sending ‘romantic messages’ on her WhatsApp.
The student eventually lodged a complaint to the police after which he was arrested.
The Dubai Court of First Instance ruled on Tuesday that the driver was guilty of sexually offending and molesting the student. In turn, the man was fined and will be deported from the UAE.
The ruling is open to appeal for the next 15 days.
- How a taxi driver stalking British socialite Jemima Khan met justice
- How a taxi driver tried to knock down London attackers ‘armed with knives’
- Here’s what tourists in Egypt do to get rid of taxi drivers
- New law cuts English language requirement for NYC cab drivers
- Actor De Niro compares Trump to 'Taxi Driver'