Pictures circulating on social media have shown Saudi traffic police handing out roses to female drivers as they sat behind the wheel for the first time in the early hours of Sunday.
Saudi women were officially able to drive at the stroke of midnight on June 24 as a royal decree granting them the right to drivers’ licenses came into effect.
Traffic departments have begun implementing carefully planned procedures in preparation for the influx of cars expected to be on the roads.
Al Arabiya English has been on the ground documenting the historic moment:
- Historic day as Saudi women get behind the wheel to drive
- VOX POPS: Saudi women speak on how driving will help in their daily lives
- VIDEO: How Saudi Arabia will reap economic benefits from women driving
- VIDEO: ‘Trust in God and Drive’ campaigns prepare Saudi women drivers
- An A-Z guide on how Saudi women can obtain their driver’s license
- WATCH: Saudi woman talks empowerment as she takes the driver’s seat